Sunday, November 16, 2008

Fried Okra - is there any other way to eat it?



When I was growing up mom used to make gumbo. It was good. I liked it, but as an adult I don't like the slime that comes from boiled okra. What I do like is fried okra and I like it really fried, I like it almost burnt. Turns out Hoby likes it the same way.


There are so many ways to batter okra. We called him mom and she gave us her recipe. She said she washed the okra, then cut it and breaded it with cornmeal. We tried that, added some flour, tried some egg and milk. We ended up with flour, then egg and milk and then cornmeal. It was good. We had it with a grilled sausage.

Fried Okra

Okra, washed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
flour
cornmeal
lemon pepper
salt and pepper
oil for frying

1. Wash the okra and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.

2. Place oil in skillet and begin heating.

3. Place flour in a bowl. Place some flour, cornmeal, lemon pepper, salt and pepper in a separate bowl. Mix egg and water in a separate bowl.

4. Dredge okra in flour. Dredge in egg and milk. Dredge in cornmeal mixture and place in hot oil.

5. Fry until golden brown. We like it burnt.


No comments:

Dunkin' Donuts. Dunkin' keeps me blogging. Try Dunkin' Donuts Coffee For Free. Get a Sample